Thursday, July 24, 2014

Embryo Transfer for Baby #2!

Here we go!
July 22 was our first Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET).  We took our daughter to a friend's house, who was such a blessing to watch her for us.  Then we got to the Dr.'s at 10:30.  A little early.  The whole way there and before, I had to drink 32oz. of water.  That's a lot, in case you were wondering.  I didn't have to wonder, because I knew.  I knew when I felt the urge to do the "pee-pee" dance.  I can do a pretty mean "pee-pee" dance.  Well, the reason for the obscene amount of water is that it provides a straight path to where they need to go.  

About 30 minutes before the procedure, I took a Valium.  Doctor's orders.  Not gonna argue with that.  With all the poking and prodding that this whole process takes, I see it as a little bonus.  It made me very relaxed.  But the real reason for the Valium, aside from being a reward for being a human pincushion for a few months, is that when you have that much water, it makes the bladder contract, and the Valium prevents that. 

We watched some "House Hunters" in the waiting room, and I felt giddy.  I looked in my periphery at the other people in the room, and like I always do, I wondered about their stories.  Infertility is a tough journey, and has many origins and many different endings.  I hope their journeys through this fire-swamp end soon, and end happily.

Soon, they called us in to our room.  A room we were familiar with.  It is where I have had many ultrasounds, as well as my egg retrieval.  I like to think of it as the luxury room, as it is at least twice as big as the other rooms.  Boo-ya.  But I still had to sit on an uncomfortable table with a paper drape on my legs.  Not so Kardashian after all.

They brought in a picture of our baby.  I think this one looks a lot like me.  Ok, so it's only 5 days old--at the blastocyst stage.  But maybe this one will have some of my traits?
First picture.  Hopefully the first of many!  Technically, this is the 2nd picture of this baby.
We were stoked that the first embryo that they thawed survived, as sometimes this is not the case.  I think it is somewhere around 75%-90% survival rate.

They kept asking me if I had to pee a little bit.  They'll let you go a little bit, but I didn't really want to mess with it.  It was tolerable.  But they kept asking.  That made me think about peeing.  It was a little irritating!

After all of the talk of Niagara Falls, we had to verify our names and dates of birth and say how many embryos we were implanting and which one.  That way, we didn't end up with someone else's kid or 8 embryos or something like that.  I stand behind that protocol.
Embaby selfie!
So then they used an ultrasound and a catheter to transfer the embryo to my uterus.  The doc said it was "straight as an arrow", so good thing I held it.  When it was all done, he said it went as well as it could!  Now, that statement could be interpreted one of two ways:  If you are a "glass half-full" type of person, it means it was the best ever.  If you are a "glass half-empty" type of person, it means that's as good as it's going to get.  Haha I'm hoping for the glass half-full version!
The white dot in the middle is where the embryo is. 
I had to hang out on the table another 30 minutes or so after the procedure.  Then--and this is the best part--I was free to use the facilities.  It was glorious.
(Singing to the baby, working of the rest of the Valium, and trying to distract myself from nature's call.)

Doug and I grabbed a bite to eat afterward, and then picked up our little one.  We headed home where I had to be on bed rest (I know; poor me) for 2 days.  Nora was very cuddly and sweet during this time.  Maybe she knows something we don't?
Do I look pregnant yet? 

We have to wait a week or so for our first pregnancy test.  We will keep all 4 of you readers updated! ;)

1 comment: