Thursday, July 19, 2012

IVF Egg Retrieval

Wow!  Today was quite exciting.  Today we got to find out how productive the medication has been at maturing eggs for our IVF cycle.

July 17 at 11:15pm sharp, Amanda was given her HCG trigger shot to finalize the maturation of the eggs for today's retrieval  (I could be a nurse--I did awesome; ask Amanda).  I (Doug) had to be present at the Dr.'s office at 8 am today for my share of the procedure, which is quite the breeze compared to what Amanda has had to go through.  Amanda had to be present at the Dr.'s office at 9:45 am so she just came along. Mind you she had not eaten breakfast or anything since 9:30 the night before.  For those that know Amanda well, she does not skip her breakfast :).

At 9:15am Amanda took her medication for the procedure (Precocet and Valium). 

Within 15min you could tell the medications had set in.  We were sitting in the waiting room and Amanda just started cracking up laughing out of nowhere.  So I asked her what was up she said "I am looking for a 'nerd face'".  What does that even mean?  The receptionist was even laughing at her and asked if the meds had hit. 

She was taken back into a room for prep with an IV.  More giggling...

Not so fun; they tried her hand first with no luck (the needle was too large for her vein).  The second stick they got her in the arm.  By that time another nurse came to get her to take her to the retrieval room.  I had to leave, because they put her under to do the egg retrieval.

I stayed in the waiting room while the procedure was happening.  I must have looked anxious because the other Doc at the practice came out to ask if I was ok.  Anyways, the retrieval was a success,  they were able to retrieve 8 eggs.  Now we wait until tomorrow morning to find out fertilization status and whether the transfer will be Sunday (3 day transfer) or Tuesday (5 day transfer).

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well-wishes!  We'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. Good thing they gave you happy meds so you wouldn't be so grumpy 'cause of no breakfast! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! It definitely helped! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I'm glad you got the giggles. It helped lighten the mood. Also, I was able to see the Lupron injection video, and it was also super cute. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, true, Michele! I guess that's what the meds are for!

    ReplyDelete